Jackie Hinchliffe, Director - HR, OD & Transformation, Thurrock Council
Jackie Hinchliffe, Director – HR, OD & Transformation, Thurrock Council
Jackie is a graduate in HR, with experience in both the private and public sectors. Following an early career in retail management, Jackie spent 20 years with Kent County Council in a variety of roles ranging from social care policy to direct service development before specialising in HR & Organisational Development. Jackie joined Thurrock Council in 2008 as Head of HR, OD & Customer Strategy; becoming Head of HR, OD & Transformation in April 2013 and Director of the same in January 2016. Jackie is also the national policy lead for Pay and Reward for the PPMA.
For some perspective, Thurrock is located north of the River Thames, immediately to the east of London. Its growth programme is possibly the largest and most ambitious in the UK. £6bn has already been invested by the private sector, with 7,000 new jobs created and 1,170 new businesses coming to the borough, including modern ports and logistics centres, retail and creative industries. It expects a further 30,000 new jobs to be created by the year 2037. More than 1,000 acres of land are ready for commercial development, with 30,000 new homes likely to be built in the next decade. Basically: there’s a lot happening in Thurrock!
Back in 2016 Jackie took leadership of Digital Board; soon to become one of a further 6 Operational Boards that feed into an overarching Transformation Board. It is at Digital Board, through Jackie’s incredible vision, that three of the Council’s key strategies come together to deliver council-wide technological initiatives that embrace the needs of Thurrock Council’s staff, residents and businesses.
The three key strategies are:
• Digital and ICT – focussing on our digital infrastructure together with initiatives such as SMART City.
• People – focussing on developing a digitally skilled workforce capable of embracing technological advances.
• Customer Service – focussing on ensuring residents are able to digitally interact directly with Council services.
Under Jackie’s inspirational leadership, Thurrock has seen the successful delivery of many technology projects including:
• A VDI infrastructure providing the catalyst for Agile working
• An award winning on-line Resident Portal that allows direct interaction with Council Services
• An award winning Corporate wide EDRMS System implementation
• An Oracle EBS ERP system migration to Oracle Cloud (in progress)
Furthermore, during Jackie’s tenure at Thurrock, the Council has been awarded IIP Gold twice along with various SOCITM, CIPD and Personnel Today Awards.